Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Eight Months and Comfortable

Dear All,

After getting my call a year ago, I started taking my temple prep class immediately in the house of President Walker and his wife. During the classes, we talked a lot about Chile and what I was to expect. One thing President Walker told me was, "Once you´ve been in Chile for 6-7 months, you are going to feel REALLY good." Well, it´s funny because that really has been true for me. I am just now feeling comfortable and confident with the work. It´s funny how it works. When I got to the MTC, I really missed my house. When I got to Chile, I really missed the MTC. When I got here to Valpo, I really missed La Sarena. But I am so confident and comfortable right now in the mission that that I don´t even think about that stuff as much anymore. It feels good.

There are pros and cons to having a Latin companion. They teach really well, and the people will actually listened to them and understand them completely. However, sometimes it´s hard because they are so much different than us! Haha. Elder Lopez comes from a different culture than me, and so I´ve seen and heard him say a bunch of stuff where I just kind of scratch my head and say to myself, "What the!?" Haha. And the last few days, we´ve kind of argued about a few things and what not--but at the same time we´ve had a lot of laughs. Haha. It really is a different kind of relationship. It´s hard to explain! But we DO have something identically in common: We both have strong testimonies of the Gospel, and we are both here to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

We found a lady a few days ago, and she didn´t have time to listen to us. We set up an appointment, and we showed up a few days later. She wasn´t there. But then we decided to pass by a few days ago, and we were actually able to teach her and her family. It was a good lesson, and we figured out that she has 11 grandkids! And none of them (her, her grandkids, her husband, etc.) are baptized, and they all enjoyed talking to us and learning more about the Gospel. (Although, it was a little frustrating for me because a bunch of her grandkids were making fun of my accent; haha.) It´s too early to say anything now, because we´ve only taught them once, but I really hope we can get some great investigators and some baptisms from that family. They are great people.

We´ve been working with this 9-year-old named Camila and her two older sisters. Their Mom is an inactive member of the church, but they have never been baptized. They have problems with the law of chasity, but they all have desires to follow Christ and His Gospel. But the greatest thing is watching these three girls change their lives. I remember when Elder Mann and I first found them. The oldest sister (Stephanie) refused to listen to us, and Camila and Michelle didn´t really have much interest. All three of them also REFUSED to pray! Haha. But wow! The last few weeks, I´ve seen a change in them, and they are actually progressing. They all now have a habit of praying, and they are reading in the Book of Mormon. They´ve even attended church a few times! :) They´ve stopped drinking tea, and now they are working on getting married so that they can be baptized. :) It is the greatest thing ever--seeing them change, and seeing them actually WANTING to do these things so that they CAN be baptized in Christ´s church. :) Nothing makes me happier than seeing the Gospel change lives. It´s the greatest!

My testimony of prayer grew a little bit more on Thursday. :) I was really down on myself because my companion and I weren´t having the greatest sucess, and I felt like it was my fault, because I have more time here in this area. During lunch, it got to the point where I just told myself, "Hey, get on your knees and talk to Heavenly Father about it!" I did so, and it was a sweet experience. Almost immediately, my sadness and frustration was replaced with joy, happiness, and a desire to just go to work!

I remembered something President Gillespie also told me in my interview with him last week. He said, "Elder Nelson, your companion is in his first assignment as senior companion. Just remember: When things seem like they aren´t going right, just be obedient!" It really is that simple, isn´t it? When things aren´t going the way we want them to go, all we have to do is be obedient and patient. And with time, we will eventually receive the blessings. Obedience really is the most important commandment. Because when we are obedient, we are showing the Lord that we truly DO want to follow Him; and when we are obedient and do what He says, He is bound to bless us. (See D&C 82:10, I believe it is.)

I love you all, and I am grateful for this opportunity to be lost in the Lord´s work. It truly has been the greatest experience of my life--leaving the world behind and giving EVERYTHING I´ve got to the Lord. There is nothing greater. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the greatest, and I challenge you all to always be obedient and do your best! The blessings will come!

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV
--
D&C 122:7

No comments: