Tuesday, July 10, 2012

God Is In Charge

I've had the opportunity the last few weeks--perhaps months--to kind of just sit back and look back on my mission. Almost every single time I've done so, a similar question has popped up. Again and again and again. "What now?...Okay, now: How? When? Where?" The valuable lesson that I have learned by pondering these things is this small, but powerful truth that an excellent seminary teacher once taught me: God is in charge. He does indeed have a unique plan for each and every one of His children.

Tonight I feel impressed to share a few of my thoughts/feelings about what God's plan has been for me personally since arriving home from my mission. As many of you know, one of my life's goals is to attend and graduate from BYU. It's been a dream of mine since I was kid; it started small, but my desire to reach that dream/goal has only grown throughout the years. And so naturally I was a little upset when BYU didn't accept me before my mission. And then at the end of my mission--when I was working on my personal five-year plan--I decided I would apply again for BYU. I was confident that they would accept me this time around. Well, to my surprise I was declined again. And then I was rejected a third time once I applied when I had arrived home

However, I have remained fairly confident that I will eventually achieve my goal of graduating BYU. I know it will happen, and I won't accept defeat. At the same time, I've always known that the Lord has a special assignment (for lack of a better word) for me to accomplish before arriving to my dream destination of BYU. Since being declined by BYU, I've felt strongly that I was to stay here in Vegas--despite other opportunities to leave and go study at other locations. But for months I was clueless as to why.

A few weeks ago it finally hit me. I don't say it to boast or brag, but I share the following experience with everyone to add another witness that God is in charge, He loves us, and He knows what is best for each and every one of us. The simple answer that I finally received was this: The Lord has had me stick around here in Vegas to help my little brother Timmy and our two best friends Skyler and Levi prepare for their missions. If you're reading this, you might not understand how powerful this answer was for me when I received it.

I know without a doubt that my purpose since arriving home from my mission has been to love, support, and get these guys excited for their own missions. And words cannot describe the joy that I have felt as I've seen each of them progress toward that goal of serving a mission. Timmy is out there in Nebraska giving it his all. Our good friend Skyler departs to England next week and Levi will receiving his mission call either this week or next.

I am so grateful for God's love and for His unique plan that He has had for me. I can now honestly say that I understand why a dream such as graduating from BYU has been put on hold. And I am so grateful that I was rejected those three times.

2 comments:

The Watts said...

This post made me cry, was just what I have been contemplating myself! Love you son!

Todd said...

And now Brian Walker and I await your arrival my brother!