Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Being Trusted Is Better Than Being Loved"










Dear All,

It´s a hot winter day here in Valparaiso as the whole country of Chile sits here and watches/listens to the pre-game show of the Chile vs. Brazil fútbol game. The United States lost a few nights ago, so by default, my new loyalty falls upon Chile. I actually have a big screen TV right in front of me, and I am listening to the pre-game show a little bit. It´ll be fun to watch a little bit of the game. Go Chilé! :)

It was a good week. It´s always a good feeling to get in normal clothes and have a little fun. A few days ago, I put on jeans and a t-shirt for the first time in a LONG time, and we did some service for this guy named Marco. He bacially just had us help him destroy a wall of dirt. It was sweet! Haha. Afterwards, we had lunch in jeans and a t-shirt. And then we even taught him a lesson (he´s not a member) in jeans and a t-shirt! It was really exciting. And then this morning, we played some soccer with two other elders and their ward. And even though we, as gringos (foreigners), got destroyed because we don´t know how to play football...it was still really fun being able to wear shorts and a t-shirt. (You know you´ve been on the mission for a while once you start getting really excited about wearing jeans, shorts, and a t-shirt. :))

We had another zone conference this last week, and it was sweet as always! I was able to see old missionary friends (as always), and I learned a lot. The zone leaders and President Gillespie, focused on how we can establish a better relationship with the members. One thing they challenged us to do was to stop by one organization of the ward every week to talk to them for just 3-4 minutes to get to know them, thank them for all they do, etc. Haha. Well, Elder Mann and I decided to stop by the young women yesterday. We thanked them for living God´s standards, told them how much we respect and love our own sisters. And then we read them a quote and gave them queen crowns. Haha. It was really cool! I think it´s going to help us establish the trust we need with every organization. Oh, and wow--I was amazed by how similiar the YW here are compared to the YW back home in our ward. They sure do talk a lot about the weirdest things! HAHA. Not saying that out of disrespect! It was just really funny to me that the Chilean girls are so similiar!

Chilé scored a goal in their other game a few days ago during one of our lessons, and the streets went wild! HAHA. All the excitement actually reminds me of all the times Brent Nelson and I got excited for similiar events such as BYU football. ;) When BYU scored a touchdown, though, I don´t think we ever ran through the streets. Just through Brent Nelson´s house. ;)

We had another powerful moment with the hymns. We were teaching this lady named Maria. She was telling us about all her problems. We let her just talk to us for a good 10-15 minutes non-stop about all her problems. Haha. And then Elder Mann taught her a little about prayer and the love that God has for each of His children. Well, out of nowhere, I had the strongest impression that we should sing her a hymn to make her feel better. So I pulled out my hymn book and asked her if we could sing her a song. She got really excited and accepted the offer. We sang her "Señor, Te Necesito" ("I Need Thee Every Hour"), and WOW! It was so cool! The Spirit was really strong. And when we were done, she was so funny. She said, "What is this that I am feeling? Now I just want to get up and clean my whole house!!" HAHA. (She was earlier complaining about how her house was a mess and how she had no desire/energy to clean it.) Like the lady I talked about last week...Maria heard this song, she felt the Spirit, and I, as the Lord´s servant, saw with my own two eyes the most magnificent change in that sweet lady. :)

The mission is the greatest. This is the last week of the change--my last change with Elder Mann! (President basically told me that I wouldn´t be with him next change.) We are going to make it a good one. :) I love you all, and I am grateful for each and every one of you. I am honored to know so many great examples. Remember the simple advice from Psalms 3:5-6. If we trust in the Lord with all our heart, He WILL direct our paths. I am a witness of that.

I love you all.

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV
--
D&C 122:7

No comments: