Thursday, June 6, 2013

Looking Up.


Today in my Science Foundations class, my teacher shared a spiritual thought that really impacted me. He talked about how too often we think along the lines of, "Man! I'll be happy when this semester is over" or "You know, I will be much more happy when I am done with this difficult task." What we don't realize, though, is that when we finally reach these "turning-points" we aren't actually happy after all because--well--challenges and difficult tasks are going to follow us the rest of our lives.

So what's the point? Well, I personally believe that it means that we need to find a way to be happy even if we are overwhelmed by what life throws at us. We need to maintain a positive, hopeful attitude toward life. I am reminded of the talk Elder Carl B. Cook gave a few years back--"It Is Better To Look Up." After a busy day at the church offices, he was a little down on himself; he got on the elevator and kept his head down. To his surprise, though, President Monson hopped onto the elevator, whistling away before he told Elder Cook, "You know, it's better to look up." It's simple, but sometimes the answer is to just be a little more positive and hopeful by looking up and not down.

Another talk that can help in such times: "Come What May And Love It" by Elder Wirthlin. That talk has helped me "look up" even during the hard times.

My Science Foundations professor had some great advice, too, though. He said, "Write a list of activities you love doing...and do them!" When he said that, it hit me that even the smallest, simplest things that we love can help us "look up" as long as if we remember to do those things. For example, I have realized these last few months that I love sending random text messages to my siblings and my parents. And I have been pretty good about doing so. And sending all of these texts has truly helped me "look up" even during some of the most difficult times that I have faced these last few months. Something as small as a text message to a loved one can help us be happy now rather than later. Amazing, isn't it?

Of course, this will be different for each person. But I am fully confident that it is always possible for us to "look up" as we strive to do the small things that make us most happy. Life will always have challenges and will never get easier. There will be heartache, tears, and disappointments, but these things are much easier to bear as long as we are "looking up."

No comments: