Sunday, November 17, 2013

Tomorrow's Anniversary

For English this semester, we've basically been working on writing research papers all semester, and so I've been writing a lot these days. I feel that is the reason why I've been in a blogging mood the last few days. Granted, I usually plan out what I am going to write; however, tonight I am just going to type out some of my thoughts. We'll see how it goes. :)

First of all, I was looking back at some of my old posts from back in the day, and I was laughing so hard. It's incredible to realize how immature and ridiculous I was even at the age of eighteen. The funny part about that is the fact that when I was eighteen I really felt like I was mature. And maybe I was for my age at the time. But looking back on those old posts helps me realize that I've at least matured to the point where I don't post ridiculous stuff about The Dark Knight or the most RANDOM pictures and videos. But who knows? I'll probably look at this post another five years from now and think, "Wow. I was pretty immature when I was twenty-three." So, man, maybe it's just a never-ending cycle. That's fine.

The main reason I feel like I am writing this, though, is because tomorrow marks the four (four!) year anniversary of when I entered the MTC. Incredible! This semester I've thought about my mission a little more than usual, and it still amazes me how much I learned and how much I continue to learn from my mission. Even though it was only 1/12 of my mission, it's especially impressive how much I learned in the MTC. Here are just a few examples of the things I learned in the MTC:

I learned an impressive amount of life lessons as a missionary in the MTC.
  • I learned that I was never alone. I entered the MTC a handful of months after graduating high school, and so it was my first real time being away from home. Leading up to my mission, it was something I didn't really think about. I love my parents, and they've always loved and supported me in return. I don't mean this as any disrespect to them, but it wasn't really hard for me to enter the MTC and not have my parents by my side. However, it was extremely difficult to enter the MTC and realize that I wouldn't have my siblings around. My siblings are my best friends, and all seven of them have taught me more than anyone will ever be able to comprehend. And so I remember being in the MTC the first few days and thinking, "Oh my gosh. I can't do this." However, by the end of my first week in the MTC, it hit me that my siblings were praying for me every day, and they wouldn't forgive me if I gave up. Not too much longer after this realization, I was reminded also that the Lord would always be by my side--throughout my mission and throughout the rest of my life.
  • I learned the true power of testimony. All of my teachers in the MTC as well as our branch presidency were so awesome, and they taught me so much. I can't remember who it was, but one of our leaders told us that whenever a companionship within the district  would start fighting/arguing in the middle of class or something, he would have them get up and bare their testimonies. When I first heard that, I remember thinking, "That's interesting. I don't get why that would be appropriate or effective." It didn't take me long to realize just how quick a testimony can change an environment from contentious to an environment of peace. And it's that way because testimonies invite the Spirit of the Lord.  
  • I learned to work hard, but to have fun doing it. While I was in the MTC, I noticed that there were way too many missionaries that would work themselves way too much and stress way too much. Just being around them made me depressed, I will admit. Now, I am not saying that missionaries aren't supposed to work hard. But the MTC taught me that if we are working hard to the point where we aren't enjoying it or having fun, we aren't doing something right. On the flip side, I learned that if we aren't working, and we're just goofing off, that wasn't a good thing either. I learned that there had to be a balance. For example, I remember one day after studying all day, my district and I decided to take my camera with us to gym time, and we did a "photo shoot" of all of us exercising on the exercise equipment. It sounds crazy, but it was fun things like that that helped us both in the MTC and in the mission field.
The list literally goes on and on. The MTC taught me a lot of valuable lessons, and it's just crazy to think that I learned these lessons four (four!) years ago.

With that said, my last random thought for the night is this: I am super  excited for Thanksgiving!! Can't wait to do some road tripping with my little brothers. We haven't road tripped together since last Christmas! It'll be so good to spend a few days with them. Can't wait to joke with them while jamming to some tunes and what not. I am giddy just thinking about it. LOVE those dudes. Oh, and Timmy gets home in FOUR MONTHS and a few weeks!! Just saying.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just want to add to your third comment of what you learned in the MTC. That was definitely something I learned from you! I wanted to be a missionary that was always working really hard, and I often got down on myself for taking breaks or for not working myself to death. That one transfer with you was THE funnest transfer of my mission, and one of the most successful too -- in terms of numbers, happiness, progress, and love. Thanks for teaching me so much!