Tuesday, September 7, 2010

In Memory Of: The Greatest Man I Ever Knew

Dear All,

It was a long week! Last Tuesday, I finally got my passport back so that I could go get my carnet (Chilean ID) stuff done. Well, the thing is...I got it just a little late, and the deadline was today, giving me only one day (today) to get everything done. I worried about it all week, haha, but I am happy to say that I got everything done this morning, and now I do not have anything to worry about. :)

It was also long because we are having a hard time finding new investigators. In my mission, I never had a week where we had zero new investigators. Well, in the past two weeks, Elder Richardsen and I have not found any! The worsts! And things are not going so well with the people that we are teaching. They are never there when they say they are going to be, etc. So yes, it was a long week. :) But you know what? We are going to have a good week this week. We just have to have that attitude of faith right from the start of the week! I know we are going to do it!

Random Stuff: Congrats, Cynthia! (I hope it is not a secret that you are pregnant. If so, I just ruined it. Haha. I am sorry.) Also, I heard that BYU and Foothill won their season openers. I was happy to hear that. Also, I just want to say that the world just keeps getting smaller. There are two missionaries here in the mission that know Cameron Busby (Brunners neighbors)--Elder Sylvanstoke and Elder Sigaran. Pretty cool, eh? One more random thing: The food here is pretty normal, but...I had the weirdest thing a few days ago. Yes, tuna fish pancakes. Do not ask me how they are made or why anyone would ever make such a thing! Haha. But they were not all that bad. Just a little....weird.

I did an interchange a few days ago with an Elder named Elder Bustincio from Peru. Wow. I have never met anyone so humble! I had heard that the Peruvians were nice people, but wow...He was so humble and so excited to do the work! I loved it, and I learned a lot from him about seeking the Spirit and then just following it! I hope to do another interchange with him again one day. We had a lot of sucess in his area--even though he got lost in his new area. :)

It will be a fun month. September is the big month here in Chile. The 18th of September is their Independence Day, and we are actually going to Cumorah (a church-owned field) with the stake, and I am excited! We also have a conference this Thursday with Elder Zaballos from the Area Presidency of Chile. It is going to be legit; I am looking forward to seeing President Gillespie and Elder Boyd. Haha. We are going to learn a lot, and I am excited. Also, we have to be in our aparments early on September 11. Not because of the terrorist attack or anything; but because it's another holiday here, and apparently it gets pretty hectic in the streets. Other than that....I am not quite sure what else is going to happen. Haha. It's my first "18 de Septiembre" here in Chile, and I am looking forward to it--especially all the empanadas and completos that everyone is talking about. :)

Well, I encourage everyone to get to know the missionaries in your ward and work with them. The missionary work really is a whole lot easier and more sucessful when the members are involved! My companion and I are going to work with the members a lot this week, and we are going to put our shoulders to the wheel and push along with all our heart, might, mind, and strength. That's all the Lord expects from us and members and missionaries of His Church. :)

I thought a lot about my Grandpa Nelson this week. Four years ago this month, he passed away. I will never forget my Papa and the things that I learned from him. Growing up, I always looked forward to visiting him. I have many memories of the summer that I spent with my older brother Matt and Papa in 1996 or 1997. I think Matt Nelson, Alex Nelson, and I witnessed Papa at his "most angry." Of course, the reason he was mad was because I was throwing a fit and not behaving well. Haha. I guess you could say that I am the grandchild that make Papa mad. Papa was not an angry person! :) The most tender moments that I shared with my Papa, though, were the visits that my Dad and I made right before his passing. I will never forget those visits. Every one of them was special to me. The time that we all sang "Love At Home" together. The time we all attended a talent show with him, as well as eating breakfast and dinner with him.

And then there was the time my Uncle Tim asked, "Dad, what advice do you have for your grandkids?" Uncle Tim asked him that question three times, and every time he did, Papa would reply, "Keep the commandments." At the time, Alex and I laughed about it--thinking that Grandpa was just saying it over and over because he was not quite sure what was going on. However, after thinking about it long and hard the last four years...I think Grandpa said it three times to emphasize just how important it is to KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS. It really is the greatest advice; it's simple, but it is so true. If we are obedient to the commandments, everything else will fall into place, and we WILL obtain Eternal Life. I think that's all that Papa wants: For us to keep the commandments so that we can rest with him in the Kingdom of God. I love you, Papa, and I am going to do my part so that we can see each other again!

I love you all. Hope all is well back home, and I hope everyone has a good week.

Con Amor,

Elder Nelson IV
--
D&C 122:7

No comments: