Thursday, September 23, 2010

Q&A With Elder Nelson IV















Dear All,

Thanks for the e-mails. My biggest surprise this week was getting an e-mail from Brian Walker telling me that he is now serving in Santiago, Chile. Haha. It's funny that I am literally a few hours away from one of my greatest childhood friends. Pretty cool!

We have six more days left until transfers (again!), and so I thought it would be fun to do a little FAQ for this week's e-mail, since I will be writing in six days about transfers and what not. I've been wanting to do something like this, but I've never gotten around to it. :) Enjoy!



How was your week?
Amazing. My first "18 de Septiembre" was one that I will never forget. It really is amazing. I've never seen anything quite like it. They literally celebrate their independence for FOUR days straight. We could hear people partying/celebrating from the 17th all the way to yesterday (the 20th). It was a fun atmosphere! And the trip we took with the ward was also something special. :) It was fun to wear "normal" clothes all day and to eat lots of empanadas, grilled chicken, etc. (Just see the pictures!)

Also, Ivan is doing great. He hasn't smoked or drank in over a week, and the Lord has really helped him as he's attended church and prayed. As of now, he's on track to be baptized on October 9, 2010. He's got all the support from his wife, the ward, and from us. We know he's going to be able to do it! :) He's so determined to do it; I love it.

What is your favorite thing about Chile?
I love the people--especially the members. They are great. I love the foods--especially the completos. :) Other than that, though...I really like the negocios. It makes things easy. If we forget to buy something at the grocery store, we can just run down the street and buy it at the nearest negocio. It's sweet. :)

What do you miss most about the States?
Obviously, my family, my friends, and the food. But other than that...I've been really surprised by what I actually miss! For example, I really miss doing my own laundry. Haha. I miss good milk (it's OKAY here). And I also REALLY miss air conditioning, especially during the hot summers here. And last but not least...I miss driving my car. I miss running errands for my family; I miss picking up my little brothers and driving them places. Haha. Basically...I miss all the things I never thought that I would miss! :)

How's the language?
Todavia me cuesta un poco. No es facil. :) But really--I've come a long way. I've always struggled with learning and remembering what I've learned. I am no master at Spanish, but I can't deny that I've come a LONG way. I am a witness that the Lord truly does bless us with spiritual gifts (such as the gift of tongues) if we really do seek them and work for them. Voy a mejorarme todos los dias. :)

Who's the strangest person that you've talked to?
You know, there were a TON of strange people in Cerro Alegre. One guy in particular comes to mind...We actually knocked on his door a few times during the four months that I was there! He spoke REALLY good English, and every time we would knock of his door, he would give us the WEIRDEST excuses (in English) as to why he couldn't listen to us. For example, the very first time that Elder Mann and I knocked on his door, he told us, "I'm sorry. I'm very busy. I have an almost-naked person in here right now." We couldn't help but laugh and think, "What in the world!?" And that's just ONE example of a strange person. :)

What's one thing you've learned in the mission?
I've learned so much. The main thing that I've learned is the importance of charity. I've learned how to REALLY love people. I've learned to recognize EVERYONE as a child of God, and that has really helped me to love the people.

What's your advice for future missionaries?
Do your best. Don't give up. The mission isn't easy! But someone in the MTC (can't remember who) said it best when they said, "Be the missionary your Mom wants you to be!" :) I've really tried to apply that simple advice to my own mission, and it's really helped out a whole lot. Because really...the Lord just expects you to do YOUR best. Which brings me to my last piece of advice: DON'T COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS!

What's the hardest part about the mission?
The hardest part about LEAVING on the mission was leaving my family behind--especially my three little brothers. But the hardest part IN the mission: Opening my mouth. It doesn't bother me to talk to strangers anymore, but sometimes I have a hard time knowing WHAT to say and so I don't say anything at all. But I've learned that you just got to open your mouth! But it's hard sometimes. :)

What's your favorite area? Companion?
I really love them all. Every area is so different and amazing. I love it. All my companions have taught me a thing or two, and I really have enjoyed working with all of them. But...I must say that Elder Birchall (my trainer) helped me out the most. But I think that's normal, as he was my trainer, and I was a lost and confused missionary. Haha. He really made me feel comfortable here in my first transfer, and I think that made all the difference in the world.

What is something unique about your mission?
Well, Parley P. Pratt's son was buried in my last area (Cerro Alegre). That was an interesting fact. I also think the view of the ocean is pretty unique. Also, I absolutely love our mission song. It's the greatest.

How has the mission changed you?
I'm less prideful and more charitable. I've really come to realize just how SIMPLE the Gospel of Jesus Christ is. Before the mission, I thought it was something complicated. :) And understanding how simple the Gospel is really has helped me become a better person. Oh, and I'm more skinny, too. :)

What's the best way to write you?
The easiest way is e-mail, obviously.

But you can also use DearElder.com for free, and we get those pretty quick. Just go to dearelder.com and put my name and mission/mission address. Don't worry about any other information; it'll get to me. Haha.

And then there is the pouch service (my dad has that address). That one is limited in that you can only send one folded sheet of paper.

The best option (I think) is to just send your envelopes straight to Chile to the mission office. Yes, it'll be the same address for my whole mission. (My Dad also has that address).

Why Elder Nelson IV?
In the MTC, I was going through a hard time my first week. But then I said to myself, "You know what? If my Dad and my older brothers did this, I can do it to! Besides, I need to set the example for my three little brothers." So Elder Nelson IV isn't only a fancy name! It's a reminder that I'm not the first, and I'm not the last. It's a reminder to my dad and my older brothers that they did what I am doing now. And it's a reminder to my little brothers that they WILL be doing what I am doing now--serving the Lord full-time for two years. :)



I love you all, and I hope you all have a great week! :) Until next week, then!

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV
--
D&C 122:7

No comments: