Tuesday, October 26, 2010

La Conferencia De Estaca

Dear All,








Usually I try and get a good outline down for what I am going to say in my e-mail. This week's little outline, though, wasn't all that organized. So I apologize in advance if my e-mail is a little random and all over the place today. BTW, Happy Birthday, Timmy!! :) Baby Seth has his birthday this week, too. Happy Birthday, Baby Seth!


It was a good week. Elder Richardsen and I started this change off with 13 lessons. In our second week, we had 17. Last week, we were able to teach 22, and I remember thinking, "Wow. If we can teach more and more each week, that would be great! It'll be a challenge." Well, things weren't looking so good on Friday. We only had 14 lessons. But we just gave it all we had this last weekend, and we taught ten lessons this weekend. :) It was great to finish with a good 24.


Yesterday was great. We had Stake Conference, too. (Dad mentioned that we had it yesterday in our stake.) It was awesome because our Stake Conference is in Villa Alemana, which is about an hour away. The ward rented a bus that pulled all the members out there, and it was awesome. (See pictures.) Juan and Natalia attended, and they loved it. Also, I am happy to say that they have a baptismal date for November 13. :)


They're great because they are so willing to change in order to align themselves with Christ and His Gospel. But Juan makes me laugh sometimes. You see, he used to attend an "Evangelico" (Evangelist?) church, and so he has a few things a little mixed up sometimes. Haha. For example, he accepted the word of wisdom yesterday when we taught it--with no problems! But whenever we told him that the temples are sacred places, he complicated things and tried to tell us that the only sacred places on the earth today are the places that Christ was at--where He was born, where He was baptized, etc. So...basically...he doesn't like the word sacred all that much. HAHA. It's a little strange, but now we use words such as "special" and "holy" to make him happy. :) Good old Juan!


But all that talk with Juan, got me to study a little bit about the Temples and WHY they are sacred. I learned a lot from Gordon B. Hinckley who said that the buildings aren't what make the Temples sacred. It's the WORK that goes on in the temples that make them sacred. And then I read in the Bible Dictionary, and it says that "the home is the only place that compares to the temple in sacredness." (Something like that.) And I really liked that. Our homes aren't sacred because they look nice, but they a sacred because the home is the place where we teach and live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They are sacred because of the WORK that goes on in the home.


On the way to Stake Conference, I sat next to Juan, and we talked about a bunch of random stuff. Haha. And we were talking about the mission. And I was telling him about when I opened my call, and how scared I was whenever I figured out that I was going to Chile. I explained to him that it was because of the language more than anything, but that I was really excited and happy to be here now. And then he said, "Imagine your family the day they pick you up from the airport. Imagine your parents. I imagine that they will be so proud of you and your service to God. And you know, I bet they'll even cry!!" Haha. It was really funny the way he said it, and I thought it was cool that Juan (not even a member of the church yet) recognizes how important missionary work is to me and my family.


I've heard a cool story from a lot of the members here in Chile, and I want to share it with you all. Many years ago, President Hinckley came to visit the Saints here in Chile. And the day he came it was POURING rain. But as soon as he entered the stadium, he said a prayer, and the sun came out and stopped raining. But as soon as President Hinckley left, it starting pouring again. It's a random story, but I really like it. Every time a member re-tells it, I get the goose-bumps. (Yesterday a member was telling us about it on the bus on the way home from Stake Conference.)


Well, my time is coming to an end. Just so you all know, we may be hiking the "Campana" next week. It's a mountain, and if you climb to the top, you can see all the way to the ocean and all the way to Santiago supposively. We aren't 100% sure if it's going to work out, but if it does, it's going to take all day, and we won't be writing home until Tuesday. So if you don't hear from me next Monday, just know that I am climbing a mountain. Haha.


I love you all. I know the Gospel is true, and I know that we receive blessings as we live the Gospel. I've really come to realize just how simple the Gospel is. If we keep the commandments, we receive blessings. But if we don't keep the commandments, we have no promise. So...let's keep the commandments! :)


Until next week!


Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV
--
D&C 122:7
I serve God. I serve Jesus Christ.
I'm His Servant, His Minister.
I know I was called of Him.
I know why I've been called, and I will humbly obey.

No comments: