Monday, February 7, 2011

Reñaca Alto: Estoy Perdido









Dear All,

Well, I was just on the mission website, and I finally made it to the "OUT ON THE STREETS" section. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time now! Haha. HERE is the link to the picture. This picture was taken by Sister Gillespie as she and President Gillespie were leaving from the interviews that we had last week. That's the reason I am carrying our area book. It's also the reason we're wearing suits when it was SUPER hot outside. Enjoy! :)

So last Tuesday I made my way to the mission office with a few other Elders. From there, I was supposed to meet up with more Elders so that we could all go to Achupallas (my new zone) together. Well, I was surprised when I arrived to the office, and Elder Birchall was there! We greeted each other and the first thing he asked me was, "So we're you surprised that you were transfered?" I told him that I was, and he told me, "Well, you want to know the truth? The truth is Achupallas is really struggling right now, and so we decided we needed to put a few powerful missionaries over there. And that's why we transfered you over there, as well as Elder Briones!" It was at this moment that I just couldn't believe it! For those of you who don't remember: Elder Briones is my good friend that was with me in my first ward my first two transfers. He's from Santiago, and he has family here in Viña. And for that reason, he was told that he would be up north for his WHOLE mission. Well...There are always exceptions. :) And yes! Elder Briones and I were able to reunite this last week after not seeing each other for almost a whole year! It was awesome. It was a great moment for the two of us. The cool part was that I could understand EVERY word he said to me! Haha. I remember my time up North with him...I couldn't understand all that much of what he told me. But yeah...It was great being able to talk to him about old times, and we're SO pumped to be here in Achupallas together. :)

So all is well here in my new ward Reñaca Alto. It's a lot smaller than Olmue and Quillota. But wow! It's SO much more confusing and easier to get lost. There are a lot of hills here, too, bringing back memories of good old Cerro Alegre. As far as the ward goes...It's a good ward. I'll just say this: We have a lot of work to do! :) We have an investigator named Susanna. She's a really nice lady! She can't read or write, but she has desires to learn more about the Gospel, and she just wants to follow the example of Christ. She has a baptismal date for February 26, and we're excited for her. She came to church yesterday, and that was a great acomplishment because my companion was telling me that she always said that she would be there but she was never able to make it. :)

Speaking of my companion...As I mentioned last week: His name is Elder Judd, and he is from Payson, UT! Excellent! My first companion from Utah. Wow. Haha. Also, he DOES play the bag pipes, and he has about five months in the mission. He actually speaks and understands the language pretty well already. He's a good missionary, and he saved us this week because he knows the area REALLY well. :) He's a nice guy. I don't know if I ever said this about Elder Richardsen (my companion in Olmue), but...Elder Richardsen really reminded me of Scott Oehler at times. And, well, Elder Judd makes me laugh every time because he says, does, and thinks almost exactly like Walter Coe. It's great finding attributes of your best friends from home in your mission companions.

I was reading 2 Nephi 9 during sacrament meeting yesterday. I've read such chapters of the Book of Mormon many times before. But every time I read it again, I always learn something new--something that I personally need in my life during that time. It's amazing how it works. I love the scriptures, and my testimony of them grows each and every day. I know that as we study the scriptures daily, we will find answers to our questions, we will find counsel and comfort, and--most important of all--we will draw closer to our Heavenly Father.

I testify that the Book of Mormon is true! I was saddened a few days ago as we talked to a lady who wanted to contend with us about The Book of Mormon. We bore our testimony about how we have personally received an answer from God that it's true. She didn't accept one word that we said, but it was another one of those moments where we just walked away and I felt good to know that I have the truth in my life--that we truly can receive answers from God by praying and reading the scriptures. :) We are rejected every day. But every time we're rejected, I feel my testimony getting stronger. It's the greatest!

I love you all. :) Until next week!

No comments: