Monday, January 31, 2011

A One Hit Wonder: ¡Hay Que Hacerlo No Más!

















Dear All,


If I've learned anything in the mission it's humility. I've learned that our ways aren't the Lord's ways. I've had many moments in the mission where I've wanted "this" or "that", only to find out that I get neither. As far as transfers go, I've realized that the expected NEVER happens. But I've learned and I've accepted that we just have to be obedient and do what's asked of us! :)


With that said...We were surprised on Saturday when the zone leaders called us to tell us who was staying and who was leaving. They were on speaker phone, and they started with Elder Repetto. "Elder Repetto...¡Se Queda! (You're staying!)" Well, my first thought was, "Okay, great! We're staying together for another transfer." Well, I was surprised when the zone leaders announced my name. "Elder Nelson!....¡Se Va! (You're leaving!)" I was expecting it at all. Haha. I laughed a little bit, and Elder Hunsaker (who is also leaving) and I started packing our bags. My first "One Hit Wonder" in the mission! (Where you stay in an area for only one change; it's actually not a known missionary term. I actually just came up with it myself. ;))


So yup! I am heading to the Achupallas Zone. It's in Viña del Mar, and I am really excited to be close to the ocean again. :) It'll be fun to be in Viña for the first time, too. My companion's name is Elder Judd. No one in my zone really knows him, so I can't say much. Although I did hear that he plays the bag pipes and that he's starting his third change. But my guess is that he's from Utah. ;) If so, he will be my first companion from Utah, and he will be my first companion from the United States since my 3rd-4th transfer (almost a whole year ago!) And it'll be fun to be with someone that doesn't speak Spanish fluently. ;) Haha. I am pretty excited!


The mini mission was good. I was with a kid named Alexander, and we had a blast! He's 16, and he's so excited to serve a mission. After being here in Quillota with us for a week, he told me, "You know what? When I got here, I thought a lot about home. But now I don't even want to go home!" I just put my arm around him and said, "Brother, multiply your one week by 104, and that'll give you a pretty good idea of how long the mission is and how much harder it is for the missionaries to go back to their houses after being gone for TWO years of this." He just laughed. Haha. But yeah! It was great except my back really hurts. I slept on a few couch cushions on our cold stone floor for six days. (I gave my bed up to Elder Repetto's mini missionary.) But I slept in my bed last night, and I slept SO good. :)


I have a testimony of the blessings that come as we live an obediente life. When we are obediente, the Lord blesses us. When we aren't obediente, we have no promises. That's something I've definitely seen here in the mission! I think something we can improve on (for me anyways) are the little things such as daily prayer and scripture study (both personal and as a family). As we keep all the commandments--including the small, simple, hard ones--the Lord will bless us. :) So I'm going to be more obediente


So all is well here. :) I don't know what else to say though! But I hope all is well back home! I love you all.


Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: