Friday, January 28, 2011

Una Mini Mision








Dear All,

There is no place like the mission. I was pondering a little bit this morning, and I thought of my 17-year-old self. It was at that age where my desire to serve a mission sky-rocketed after attending EFY in the Summer of 2007. I did everything I could to prepare. I was surprised in July of 2009 when I opened my call and learned that I would be learning another language in another country. The truth: I was scared to death, but I was excited! I entered the MTC in November 2009, and I learned there that the mission would not be an easy task. I struggled there. I got to Chile a year ago, and I struggled much more.

But I am writing today to let each and every one of you know that there is NOTHING like the mission. I love the mission, and I am excited to be here serving the Lord. I have made a lot of choices in my life. Some I've regretted; others I am not quite so sure what I was thinking. But I do know this: My decision to serve a mission has been the greatest decision that I have made in my life thus far. I've seen miracles here in the mission. I've formed friendships that I'll never forget. Best of all, I am turning into the man that the Lord wants me to be. I am honoring my Priesthood, and I am learning to follow the Spirit. To all of you who are still able to serve: As President Monson said....THE LORD NEEDS MORE MISSIONARIES! I challenge you to prepare and JUST DO IT. It's the best.

I really am excited to be here, and I really do love the mission. We had our baptism this last Saturday. It went extremely well! Valeska is really excited to be a member of Christ's church now. :) She told us (after her confirmation), "I just felt....energy when you guys put your hands on my head." It was great. She loved it. And so did her daughters! We hope they follow her example and are baptized soon. We can't pressure them or force them to do it because--as our mission president taught us in our training meeting--if we force people or pressure them into being baptized, we are leaving Christ's plan behind, and we are carrying out Satan's work as we take away the agency of the people. It really made me think, and it really is true! So...Hopefully we can just help them feel the Spirit so that they'll have the desire to be baptized. :)

Speaking of the training meeting...It was a two day meeting, and it was great. I learned a lot there! :) It was good to see Elder Birchall (my trainer) again, as well as Elder Mann and Elder Dupre. They will both be going home next week. Wow. I can't believe it! But it was a great meeting. We talked more about the Eight Principles (see picture of new MTC curriculum), and we did a LOT of practices. I even had to do a practice with President Gillespie himself! I don't know why, but...that was extremely nerve-racking. But it went well. :)

Well, sadly I will not be spending my last week of the transfer with my companion Elder Repetto. :) We received a call from the Zone Leaders a few days ago saying that President Gillespie chose us to have mini missionaries for a week! So yes, I will be with one of the young men from Villa Alemana for a week. I am so excited. I love going out and working with the youth. There is nothing greater than getting someone excited to go out and serve. :) So tonight we'll be traveling to Villa Alemana to pick up our "mini missionaries." It's going to be sweet! :) I'll tell you all about it next week.

I love you all. Thank you for your examples and for your testimonies. I've been influenced by each and every one of you.

Until next week, then! :)

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: