Tuesday, May 24, 2011

17 de Mayo: El Día Que Cambió Mi Mision (In Memory of Hermana Olfa Cortez)










Dear All,

I always imagined all my converts being here in Chilé when I decide to come back one day to visit them all. I never imagined it any other way. However, I was saddened yesterday when I received a call from Brother Vergara during lunch. He informed me that Hermana Olfa Cortez (my convert that was baptized in March) passed away on Saturday at 4:30 PM. She died from her stomach cancer. And of course, we were shocked, and after lunch I took a few minutes to just sit down and talk about it all with my companion. I'm just really grateful that I had the opportunity to teach her and help her make the greatest decision that she could have ever made by being baptized. The doors to the Celestial Kingdom have been opened for her, and I know she's in a better place. Elder Gasik and I will be attending her funeral today at 2:30 PM.

My mission--and perhaps my whole life--was changed on May 17 in a mission conference. There, Elder Birchall (my trainer) gave his final testimony (he leaves in two weeks), and I really enjoyed seeing him one last time. It was great seeing old faces as always as well. But the moment that REALLY hit me hard and really changed me was a talk that we listened to at the end of the conference. It was a talk by Elder Holland that he gave in the MTC in January. You all know how he speaks. You've all heard some of his powerful sermons in General Conference. (They can be scary sometimes, I will admit.) But all I can say is: Wow.

I want to share a few quotes that Elder Holland said. He talked of how the missionary program must not be working. His reason: Because TOO many returned missionaries are going inactive. That hit me hard. He then added: "Missionaries don't know how to do three things: Study, nor plan, nor teach according to the needs of the people." It was great because he gave us some good advice, and I received personal revelation on what I need to do better.

But the thing that hit me hard. And it hit me HARD was at the end when Elder Holland shared the story of Peter (in John 21) when he swims to the Savior, and then the Savior asks, "Do you love me?" three times. And each time Peter says that he does. And the Savior replies three times, "Feed my sheep." With emotion, Elder Holland said, "YOU CAN'T DO IT UNLESS YOU LOVE HIM." That hit me hard as well. And I'm happy to admit that I've strived MUCH harder to study, to plan, and to teach better now. :)

But there's more. Elder Holland said: "It's not over. IT'S NOT ONLY TWO YEARS. It's a new life, a new time, a new day. This mission is the beginning of a new life. You CANNOT go back! You're going to feed sheep. And you're going to be a Diciple of Christ for time and all eternity."

That hit me harder than anything. And it helped me realize that if I don't learn how to be a diciple of Christ in my mission, I'm obviously not doing something right. And we're not only expected to do it for a year or two. We're expected to let the mission change our lives. Just like Elder Holland let it change his. I want my mission to make the same impact on me. Because if it doesn't, it wouldn't be as worth it.

(I hope I explained that as well as I wanted to. The truth: It's one of those talks that you just can't put into your own words. Especially when most of the learning doesn't come from the words of the speaker but from the Spirit itself.)

We did our shopping earlier today, and I'm excited because I bought some chips and nacho cheese. I'm going to make nachos for lunch. I haven't had nachos since my farewell. I'm looking forward to it.

That's all for this week. Our hearts and prayers are going out to Olfa's sons and to the rest of her family. I'll never forget that sweet, kind woman. I sure do love and miss her a whole lot already.

I love you all.

Con Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: