Monday, August 22, 2011

13: ¡El Perseverar Hasta El Fin!









Dear All,

I'm grateful for my mission. I've seen and experienced a lot of things that I will never forget. I've met a lot of people that have made a great impact on my life. But more than anything, I've learned to forgive, I've learned to love, I've learned to understand, etc. For example, I look back on my three changes/transfers with Elder Gasik. And despite never having a baptism with him, I learned so much about diligence, obedience, charity, and unity. I miss those days of my mission! But I know the Lord wants me to learn from my experiences here in Los Vilos, too.

We were happy to see Fernanda get married last week! It was interesting attending the ceremonies and what not. There was a lot of good food, and it was fun. However, when we were eating lunch, Fernanda asked us if we could post-pone her baptism. Her husband had his interview with the branch president (so he could baptize her), but he doesn't feel ready to do so yet. And naturally, she really wants her husband to baptize her. :) So we have to be patient and give her a few more weeks so that her husband can baptize her. The good news: They're married now, and they are progressing!

We're really excited for this Saturday because Francisco and Cristofer will be baptized! I'm really excited because they have been waiting for SO long to be baptized. They're funny because yesterday they gave us a list of people to invite to their baptism. I laughed when I saw names such as "branch president and wife" and "lady who directs music." The one that made me laugh the most, though, was "Elders." :) It gave me a good laugh that they wanted us to invite ourselves to their baptism. They're great kids. They'll go down in history as two of the greatest people that I have met and taught here in my mission. I love them both.

I've always liked the hymn "Master The Tempest Is Raging." As a young lad, I enjoyed it for it's cool music more than anything. Like a lot of hymns, I never really paid attention to the words of the hymn before my mission. And a few days ago, I was reading in Jesus The Christ, and I learned--after all this time--what the words from "Master The Tempest Is Raging" mean and where they come from. In Mark 4:36-41, it says:

36 And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships.
37 And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full.
38 And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39 And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
40 And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?
41 And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?


Why are we so fearful? How is it that we have no faith? We live in a time full of fierce storms and tempests; we are faced with them every day! But Christ teaches us that we must not fear; rather, we must have faith in Him. And if we do so, He will calm the storms. I know He will because I've seen and experienced many calms of such storms and tempests. So let's put our trust in Him by keeping His commandments, and He will save us! We'll never be perfect in this life; we can't control that. But we can be happy; and we can control that. And the path to happiness is His path and His example.

I love you all. Until next week!

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: