Wednesday, August 17, 2011

14: "The Kingdom of God Or Nothing"







Dear All,

President John Taylor said it best: "The Kingdom of God Or Nothing!" It really is the only real, worthwhile choice, isn't it?

I want to explain something that I should have probably explained a long time ago. I want to explain to everyone the purpose of my e-mails home. My purpose in writing these e-mails isn't only to update everyone on how I'm doing and what I'm doing. But rather, my purpose in writing these e-mails is to also do missionary work through my e-mails. My hope is that by reading my e-mails you will feel the Spirit and learn a Gospel principle or two. And so that's why I sometimes go off on random topics.

Last week I received an e-mail from my brother Brent Nelson. He updated me on what is going on in his life by forwarding me blog entries. And one entry that really touched me was an entry when Brent was helping his son Seth pray, and they prayed for "Uncle Ben." It was in that moment that it hit me that I have a big handful of family and friends on the other side of the world that I have been praying for me by name every single day, various times a day since I began my mission 21 months ago. And I'll be honest; I think--over time--I actually forgot that! And it was a great reminder for me that I have a family that loves me. And so to each and every one of you, I say: "Wow. THANK YOU for your prayers."

We had a conference up north in Coquimbo last week. It was a great conference, and it was awesome to learn from President Gillespie and our leaders as always. The exciting news is that the church is giving portable DVD players and Preach My Gospel DVD's to EVERY companionship in the world. We received ours at the conference, and I'm pretty excited because the training videos are really going to help the missionaries all over the world teach better. :)

The highlight for me at the conference was the "dying testimony" of an Elder that will be going home here in a few weeks. He's an Elder that was in my zone when I got to the mission. He was in his 3rd transfer; I was in my first. And now he's going home. And he said something in his testimony that really touched me. He talked about how when he first got to the mission, he honestly didn't like the mission all that much. But he said, "However, every thing changed for me when I taught my first lesson and--in my weak Spanish--testified that I knew Joseph Smith saw God and Christ and was called be a Prophet in these latter days."

As I heard this Elder's testimony, it helped me realize that it was the the same for me. As a new missionary in a foreign country, there's not much you can do except testify. And I remember my first lesson with Elder Birchall when my only words were "Amo el Libro de Mormon. Yo sé que es verdadero." (Translation: I love The Book of Mormon. I know it's true.) And I remember walking out of that lesson feeling SO good for having shared that short testimony. As I shared it, I felt God's love supporting me. And I have felt His love every time that I've opened my mouth to testify of His Gospel. So like that Elder who bore his testimony...I, too, have loved my mission ever since the first day I opened my mouth to share my testimony in my weak, broken Spanish.

We're well here. We're really excited for our baptism this week! And for two more baptisms the week after! I'll keep you posted!

To end, I want to share the inspiring lyrics of the last verse of "The Time Is Far Spent":

Be fixed in your purpose, for Satan will try you;
The weight of your calling he perfectly knows.
Your path may be thorny, but Jesus is nigh you;
His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.
His arm is sufficient, tho demons oppose.


I love you all!

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

1 comment:

Todd said...

EBN bananas! the greatest!