Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Dreams That Will Haunt You

I have absolutely sucked at this blogging thing as of late. Heck, I have struggled since returning home from my mission. I am just not as creative anymore. Well, I wasn't. I feel like a lot of good ideas for some blog entries have been popping into my mind as of late.

It's a miracle that I am even here writing this. My choices were as follows: cut my hair, sleep, watch the re-run of the BYU vs. Hawaii game (which I attended with my good friend Megan Marie Shill), or...blog. And I chose to blog. Why? Because I feel like the cyber world has been lacking the BDN love that is scattered about through the writings of this blog.

My simple, late-night thought is this: I dream a lot. And I dream a lot of crap. It's great! My dreams are always entertaining--even if they happen to be the most bizarre things to ever enter my brilliant mind. Some of my dreams come true. Some of my dreams come half true. Some of my dreams are incorrectly analyzed; others are over-analyzed. Each is unique, and I believe they all serve a purpose.

My favorite kind of dreams, though, are the ones that will haunt me. That sounds a little strange. But let me elaborate. I don't mean a nightmare or a bad dream. Perhaps haunt isn't even the right word. (Oh well. It sounds more dramatic.) When I say "haunt"...I really mean the unbelievably awesome/unreal dreams that will never leave you alone. They never vanish; they cannot be erased. And it's not a bad thing. It's like that because we cherish those dreams, and we never want to forget them.

For example, as a veteran missionary in Chile, I dreamed a dream that will never be forgotten. I won't go into detail because to me it was very personal and even sacred. But I will say that it opened my eyes and helped me gain a better understanding of a sliver of the Plan of Salvation. That dream will definitely "haunt" me for the rest of my days.

When I napped earlier today, I had a dream that will "haunt" me for a while, methinks. It was unbelievably random, but it was real. And while it was so real and unforgettable, I don't even think I could explain it in words if I had to. But in the dream I just remember being surrounded by some of the people I love most. There were smiles; there were laughs. And the dream was an instant reminder that I am who I am thanks to these beautiful people.

Yeah, it sounds silly, but my favorite dreams haunt me. And they always will.

2 comments:

Todd said...

Great stuff man!

Annie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.