Monday, August 2, 2010

Estoy Trantando De Hacer Mi Mejor
















Dear All,

Friday we took a little trip to Viña del Mar in the morning because my companion needed to go to the dentist. All went well there, and we actually had to go back early today. I really like Viña del Mar; it's pretty, and reminds me a little bit of home for some reason. Haha. We actually have to go back next Monday for another appointment and that'll be fun. I kind of know how Dad feels now--all the times he had to drag me to doctors appointments and what not; and he would just sit outside and wait for me while playing his Nintendo DS. :) It's basically the same thing with me and Elder Lopez, except I play games on my electriconic dictionary to help me learn Spanish. ;)

I kind of fell apart the beginning of this week. I was still feeling sick, and I kind of got a little unfocused on the Work. My companion said some things that kind of hurt my feelings (we love each other, just so you know), haha, and so I was kind of down on myself this week, and I started to just feel sorry for myself. I thought about Manuela and how she's my only convert since arriving here to Valparaiso, and how she's already inactive. I let that get to me a little bit, and I even asked myself, "Elder Nelson, what HAVE you done here in the mission?" I think feelings like that are normal, and so I decided to do three things: find comfort in the scriptures, pray, and apply something my mission president taught me when he said, "Elder Nelson, you be the best Elder Nelson that you can be. The Lord doesn't expect anything else."

Jacob said it best when he said that the word of God "healeth the wounded soul" (Jacob 2:8). I found a lot of comfort in the scriptures, and I prayed to Heavenly Father and asked, "Heavenly Father, I'm just trying to do my best. I just hope that I HAVE done some good." Haha. It was cool how fast my prayer was answered. As soon as I got off my knees, Elder McManamon handed me a letter. It was a letter from the Araya family (from La Sarena). After reading their letter, I felt a TON better because that family is proof that I am doing good work here in the mission. (I would like to share the letter with you all. And for that I reason, I translated it, and I sent it to my Dad in the mail today.)

To make a long story short, I forgot myself and went to work, and we ended up having the best week of the the change so far. :) We are seeing the Gospel change lives here. After reading the Araya's letter, I was just motivated to go out there and find more families that are ready to accept the Gospel in their lives. And that brings us to "The Story of Nicole." Elder Lopez and I were knocking doors on a street a few days ago, and we got to a house where a fifteen-year-old named Nicole came out. She told us her family wasn't home but that we could pass by another day. Well, EVERY teenager tells us that, and we always pass by again, and their parents want nothing to do with us. Haha. So we wrote down her name, but weren't planning on actually passing by when she told us to.

What happened next might end up being one of my greatest memories from the mission. We were running a little behind schedule, and we had a good ten minutes or so to be in Camila's house for our appointment. But BEFORE that, we had to teach this lady named Elisa. We passed by Elisa, but she wasn't able to talk with us. And so the normal thing to do would be to go straight to Camilia's house and arrive a little early. However, I turned to Elder Lopez and said, "Hey, we should pass by Nicole's house." I was almost positive that he would say, "Why?" or "No, we are going to be late." But I was surprised when he said, "The same thought just crossed my mind. Let's go."

We went, and to our surprise, the parents of Nicole let us in right away. They are a great family, and they are reading everything we are leaving with them, and they are really excited to learn more (especially the Mom.) I haven't even known them for a whole week, and I've already seen the Gospel change their lives. We are going to have a Family Home Evening with them tonight, and it should be great. :) I am just grateful that the Lord directed us to them through the Spirit. It was one of the coolest experiences of my mission, and I am really excited and grateful for this family.

We are beginning to see the fruits of our labors, and I am excited and grateful for the opportunity to be here in Valparaiso for at least another two weeks. :) I am just going to enjoy it while I can, and serve the Lord with everything I've got. The Gospel is true. Christ is our Savior. We CAN receive guidance from the Spirit, but only if we prepare ourselves for that direction by reading the word of God and for praying for that Spirit.

I love you all, and I am out of time. I will be sure to keep you all updated. Thank you for all your love and support. "If we fail, we fail with glory. God speed the right, God speed the right!"

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: