Friday, December 3, 2010

Me Humillé Esta Semana

Dear All,








We just played a little soccer with other Elders from the zone, and it was fun. I scored twice, and I feel like I'm getting a LITTLE better at soccer. But I still prefer volleyball. :)

All is well here. I've really been humbled the last few weeks. I really struggled this transfer thus far, but I know the key to missionary work is just...work. I just need to forget about myself and keep working hard. I did an intercambio with Elder Bellingston a few days ago. He's a brand new missionary that arrived here earlier this month. We were talking about how the Lord truly does humble us. He was telling me about how when he got here, he thought, "Well, this is easy. I can understand the people pretty well, and it's not all that tough." But then he told me about how a few days later, he realized, "Wow. I don't know ANYTHING."

It's been like that for me since the beginning of my mission. Haha. Since my fourth transfer or so, I always asked myself, "How come I'm not a senior companion yet? I could easily do it." Well, as you know, I was finally bumped up, and the first week was great. I just thought, "This is easy. I can do this no problem." And as soon as I thought THAT and got a little "cocky" that was when I realized how hard my asignment really is, and it humbled me a little bit. :) But I'm learning every day, and I love the mission for experiences like these.

With that said...We had a good week. :) We had a lot of lessons with members, which was awesome. We did splits again yesterday, and it was great. It really is a great way to go out with the members--to teach more lessons and to get the members excited to do missionary work. We really have enjoyed doing splits the last two weeks, and we're excited to keep doing them. :)

Elder Zorrilla and I have enjoyed talking in both Spanish and English. He really does speak pretty well. We've been praying in English often, and it's a little weird. My companion actually prays in English better than I do! But I guess that's what happens when you go a whole year without praying in your own language. Haha. We also ate with the Gringo family last week (Tuesday), and during all of lunch, we just spoke English and what not. And Sister Hecker even made us an American meal with pumpkin pie! Haha. My companion enjoyed it. (See pictures.) But wow. It was SO weird talking in English during lunch. I didn't like it all that much. Too hard. :) Haha.

President Gillespie once taught us that our lessons with members are important because they benefit not only us and out investigators, but they also benefit the members themselves. He told us, "The members that teach with you missionaries are going to be better people, better parents, better members, etc. as they leave with the missionaries and teach with them."

Well, we went out with Brother Fernando Arancibia a few days ago, and we taught a few lessons with him. And he said something to us that really confirmed that what President Gillespie told us is true. After teaching, he told us (with a huge smile on his face): "Elders, tonight was worth it." He felt the Spirit, and he was strengthened by leaving with the missionaries. :) And so that is my challenge of the week! That we all make an extra effort to leave with the missionaries to teach with them. Offer your home for a place where the missionaries can do a Family Home Evening with investigators. Or something! Get involved in the work. :) And by doing so, you'll be blessed.

No time left. I love you all. Keep up the good work. I'll talk to you next week.

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: