Sunday, May 9, 2010

Una Semana Loca







Dear All,

Happy May! A year ago this week, I started filling out mission papers. Tara was also baptized a year ago! Does that amaze anyone else how fast time really does fly? Wow. I can´t believe it!

I forgot to mention last week--because I am in Valpo now, I get letters once a week, opposed to twice a month. So don´t be afraid to write me snail mail. :)

It was an interesting week. We had our zone conference on Thursday, and I had one of the most emotional reunions ever with my good friend and brother, Elder Hawkes from the MTC. (See the picture.) When we saw each other, we just flipped! And we enjoyed our few hours together, updating each other on what we´ve experienced in the mission thus far. It was the best. He´s lost so much weight, too! Just like me! Haha. We are completely new men than we were in the MTC. It´s amazing how fast the mission changes you. He and I both speak the language much better now, too, which really was awesome to see. (Not saying I am fluent or anywhere new it; just better. :)) But yeah, it was the greatest!

Elder Mann and I had a weird week. We had a lot of weird lessons on Saturday. I won´t go into too much detail with all of them, but I will share a lesson that we had with this lady named Nancy. She is a nice lady that we met one of my first days here; she was really interested, and we were excited to teach her! But then we could never find her! We finally found her again on Saturday, and when we asked her how she was doing, she said, "Mal!" (Bad!) She then explained to us that she lost a daughter a few months ago. And then she broke into tears. My companion tried explaining the Plan of Salvation to her, but she just kept saying, "No! God doesn´t exist. It´s all a lie." Stuff like that. And it was just strange because she seemed so interested before, and she believed in God when we first talked to her, too. :/ She wouldn´t let us teach her very much because she didn´t want to hear anything about God! It was really sad. :/ She was so hopeless, and I just felt really bad for her. But...we explained what we could, and she has the agency whether to accept it all or not. We are teaching her again today.

But it really got me thinking about the blessings I have. I am so grateful for my testimony of this Gospel. It has saved me thousands of times in my life, especially here on the mission. :) I am especially grateful for my testimony of the Plan of Salvation. I know that we can live with our families and with God FOREVER! But he presented a plan, and we have to follow the plan--The Gospel of Jesus Christ--if we really want this eternal life. And I know it´s only through Christ Himself that we can acheive this eternal life.

Manuela should still be getting baptized on Saturday. Some complications have come up, and it´s all pretty sad. It´s personal, and so I won´t share everything with you all at this point. But I know the Lord is involved, and we´ve done our part. Now we just have to wait and see what happens. :) I will keep you all updated on her baptism, though!

I get more confident here every day. I´ve had my hard days--days where I´ve just wanted to give up--but then I remember the tender mercies of the Lord, and I have no choice but to press forward in this great work. I know the Gospel is true, and I know we are blessed according to our obedience. We will all face our own trials here in this earth, but if we endure with obedience and faith, the reward is great.

I love you all, and I am sorry my last two e-mails have been so short. :) But I promise the next one will be full of more news! Thank you all for your love and support. I will continue to work hard and fight off the dogs. (I´ve nailed a few this last week with rocks to avoid being bitten. I carry a rock with me at all times now; no worries!) Haha. I will talk to you all next week!

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV
--
D&C 122:7

1 comment:

ChristyJan said...

Elder Nelson you have made quite an impression on Greg. He wrote and told us about being reunited with you and how happy he was. Thanks for sharing these pictures ~ I enjoy reading your blog and hearing about your experiences.

Christy Hawkes
(Greg's Mom)