Wednesday, November 23, 2011

2: Twenty-Four Months--No More, No Less

Dear All,

I got my travel plans and other information about my farewell last week. Wowzers. It looks like I will be flying home with an Elder named Elder Filoteo. I never knew he was from Las Vegas. But that'll be fun to have someone to talk to on the plane and what not. I also had interviews with President Gillespie. He gave me a small bell, and he explained to me that in track meets they ring the bell on the final lap to let the runners know that they are near the end, and they need to end strong to win the race. And so when the distractions come, I have to ring the small bell (see picture) to remind myself that I am expected to run my best. I am on the final lap.

The Temple was amazing. I had a powerful experience with Elder MacIver and with the second counselor of the Branch. We were doing confirmations in the Temple, and as I confirmed the Youth in behalf of the deceased people, I was overwhelmed by the Spirit. For the first time in my life, I truly felt the Spirit of Elijah. I felt it again when we took part in an Endowment session. I was overwhelmed by the Spirit that I felt. It felt SO good to be within the walls of the Temple. I felt so much more powerful and strengthened by being there. I look forward to going back in two weeks before getting on the plane. :)

We were looking forward to a Zone Conference this week in La Sarena. I had it all arranged to meet up with the Famila Araya (my first baptism) and everything! But...It was cancelled. :( And postponed to Friday; but it'll be a mission conference, and it'll take place in ViƱa del Mar. We'll be visited by a General Authority. We aren't sure yet, but it'll either be Elder Cook from the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, one of the members of the Presiding Bishopric, or another Seventy. And whoever comes will be accompanied by either Elder Corbrige, Elder Zaballos, or Elder Richards. So I am excited about that! And it'll also be good to see all my companions and friends before leaving. It'll be my best mission conference that I've had; we've never met up as a mission before. I'm a little sad about not being about to see the Familia Araya, but...Maybe we can talk via Skype when I get home or something. :)

We had a powerful experience yesterday in our Gospel Principles class. It was my turn to teach the class, and I knew Cristian (Investigator) and his wife Andrea (less-active that is getting reactivated) would be there. It was perfect because the topic was Eternal Marriage. As I prepared for the class, I thought to myself, "How in the world am I going to be able to teach this class in a way that they feel the Spirit? I don't know what it's like to be married yet." After much pondering, the Spirit guided me, and I felt strongly that we had to listen to Elder Scott's talk from April earlier this year. We did so, and it was an experience that I'll never forget. They felt the Spirit SO strong, and Andrea shared with us her thoughts and feelings about the talk and about how her only desire was to be sealed to her husband and her kids. I was so touched by her words that I could barely even speak up and talk to finish the class.

I was thinking about that experience this morning, and I scripture from D&C came to mind. It teaches us about how a teacher who teaches by the Spirit can help not only the students, but also themselves. In is found in D&C 50:21-22:

21 Therefore, why is it that ye cannot understand and know, that he that receiveth the word by the Spirit of truth receiveth it as it is preached by the Spirit of truth?
22 Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

I have felt that a lot here in the mission. I've been so touched by the many people that I've taught, and I can honestly feel that the majority of the time I feel like I am learning more from the people than they are from me. But I have come to learn now that we are both learning from the Spirit Himself. We are both being edified, and we both have a reason to rejoice together. I know that each and everyone of us can experience this. As we fulfill our sacred callings as parents, as children, as brothers, as sisters, as teachers, as leaders, etc. If we truly teach by the Spirit, EVERYONE--including ourselves--will be benefited and powered by It.

I love you all. One more e-mail next week. Yikes.

Con Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: