Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Power That Comes From Reading The Book Of Mormon


Since arriving home almost two months ago, I have been surprised by the truthfulness of some of the advice and warnings that I received from other RM's, from my mission president, and from the stake leaders that greeted me upon my arrival.

You see, almost all of them told me--one time or another--that Satan works especially hard on RM's. I, being silly, first thought to myself, "Well, they said the same thing to me when I was in high school, when I was preparing to be a missionary, and while I was a missionary. So I am used to this whole temptation business!"

Nope. It really is true. No, I haven't been tempted to go and commit a serious sin or anything like that. It's quite the opposite actually. Most of the temptations that have been thrown at me have been temptations to do nothing. So instead of tempting me to commit a serious sin, the Adversary has indeed taken a different approach by trying to tempt me to not keep the commandments by doing nothing.

Luckily enough for me, I made a decision a long time ago that I would always be a disciple of Christ. I am not perfect--I know that now more than I ever have before. I'm not the smartest person, either. I even feel a little immature for my 21-year-old self at times. But I do know one thing: God will bless us if we are obedient. That's because He loves us more than we can comprehend.

And I've really come to learn that. So although I've been tempted to stop praying, to stop reading, to stop going to church...I haven't given in. And I never will. But when I got home, I did make the mistake of stopping to read The Book of Mormon. I still prayed daily, I still read in church books such as The Miracle of Forgiveness, I still attended church.

But I put down The Book of Mormon, and I didn't open its pages for a few weeks. I noticed a huge difference in my life, and I often prayed, "Heavenly Father, what is going on? I am going to church, I am always praying to Thee, and I am reading in church books. But why do I feel empty?"

I am grateful for the Juarez Family from my family ward. They sent us a paper in their Christmas newsletter that challenged everyone to read The Book of Mormon December 12, 2012 (12/12/12). JoAnn put a copy of it on my desk. And one night I felt strongly that I needed to complete this challenge.

And so I went right to work with it. Along with praying daily and reading The Miracle of Forgiveness daily, I began to study The Book of Mormon. And the change that has taken place in my life is indescribable. Only a few weeks has past, but I have felt a peace enter into my life. I have had a few job opportunities come up when I was struggling to find work. I've gathered up the courage to attend the Singles Ward, and I am meeting a lot of new people. I no longer fear the future; God has blessed me with personal revelation as I have read that sacred, powerful Book.

I am a witness that The Book of Mormon changes lives. It's changed mine. I testify that it is true, and that it was written by Prophets of God. I know that by reading it, each and every one of us can draw even closer to God. I love The Book of Mormon, and I will always stand as a witness of the truthfulness that it contains.

1 comment:

Todd said...

Remembers the same thing, I was at college and The Book of Mormon was the last thing on my plate to do... changed it to be almost the first thing every morning, its been great!