Saturday, July 2, 2011

Ganamos y Nos Quedamos: THE LEGEND CONTINUES












Dear All,

Well, the legend continues. Elder Gasik and I are staying together for a third transfer! The zone couldn't believe it. :) Had someone told me back in March that we'd be together until July, I wouldn't have believed it. Heck, had someone told me in February that I would be in Reñaca Alto until July I wouldn't believe it. But we're loving every moment, and we're really excited to still be here together. Our companionship will go down in history as one of the greatest. We're excited for the new change and the new adventures. We'll have a lot of success here. :)

It's a little strange to realize that Elder Birchall and Elder Richardsen are going home tomorrow. Weird. And Elder McManamom, too! The mission will be different without them. But...the mission is awesome because it's ALWAYS changing. I like it.

It was a great week. The numbers don't show it, but it was a great one because we went out there and did our best. I love being a missionary I decided. Especially for days like yesterday. Elder Gasik and I had some good plans, but EVERYTHING was destroyed when we were struck by a sudden downpour of rain. It was bad! Usually we're ready with umbrellas and what not. But this rain came out of no where, and we got SOAKED. We still went by the people we had planned for, and either they weren't there or they didn't let us in. So we got REALLY wet. We were enjoying every minute because even though we were soaked, it was great to show the people that our message is THAT important. I turned to Elder Gasik and said, "Our church is probably the ONLY church that still has missionaries working through weather like this." There's no such thing as bad weather in the mission!

We met a new member of our ward who just moved here not all that long ago. We visted him, and it was a great visit. His name is Brother Huanca (pronounced like "Wanka"), and he's a great guy. He basically told us his whole life's story, including his conversion story and it was a great one. I won't mention everything he said, but I was touched by something he told us when he was talking about his children. He mentioned how two of his sons went inactive and how two of his daughters chose not to be baptized. He mentioned that he had one son who was active in the church. He talked of how tough it is for him as a father. But the thing that really made an impact on me was when he said: "But not all of Adam's children were righteous. And neither were all the children of the Lehi. And they were prophets. The children just used their agency and chose the opposite way." I really liked that because it's the same for us as missionaries. Yeah, we might teach the "perfect" lesson where the investigators feels the Spirit, but there will always be people that will accept and act on that Spirit and then there will be those that don't.

The Book of Mormon is true! We've been using it as our resource for talking to people in the street. And why not? It is truly the keystone to our religion, and it's an evidence to the world that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored. I am so grateful for The Book of Mormon and its teachings. A few days ago, I opened up to 3 Nephi 17, and I started to read. It's one of my favorite chapters. I put myself in the shoes of the Nephites, and I was touched by the Savior's ministry here in the Americas--especially when He heals the sick and blesses the children. How powerful!

Well, the Gospel is true, and It's blessed my life imensely. I've never experienced the joy that I've felt here in the mission as I've shared It with others.

I love you all. Until next week!

Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Nelson IV

No comments: