Monday, September 29, 2008

"The Tree and Me" By: Benjamin David Nelson

Dear World,

I was working on cleaning my room today, and I found a few gems. I found a poetry notebook of mine from eighth grade. I will share one of the gems with you. Enjoy!

Sorry that it's so mushed together! I put a space in between each stanza, but it won't stay that way when I publish it! :(

Yours Truly,
BDN


"The Tree and Me"
Benjamin David Nelson
In my yard there stands a tree.
A tree that is ever so taller than me.
I always wanted to be taller than it.
But, of course, it always beats me by a bit.
I always wanted to be tall,
For if I was, I would never fall.
And so I try to stand so high
But trying only leads to a lie.
Now I give up on becoming like this tree
But perhaps time will bring the idea back to me.
In my yard there stands a tree,
A tree that is ever so taller than me.
Years later, a new idea finally came to me
I said to myself: I will climb to the top of this tree
At the top, I would be taller by a couple of feet;
Once I reach my destination, the tree would be beat.
I began climbing the tree by jumping from branch to branch,
And as I got higher, I saw my ranch, my ranch.
I climbed and climbed and by the time I reached my destination,
I could see the stars face to face and my heart went through restoration.
I am now like the tree in my yard--tall
And because of this, I will never fall.
So now I am in my yard, taller than my tree
The tree that is ever so shorter than me.

3 comments:

The Watts said...

Bangs! I never knew! You are a poet but none of us know it oops I meant knew it LOL! Ah shucks not another one of those stupid word verifications tingys I always mess up on them, oh well I guess I will do it if I want this posted

Kerstin said...

great poem!

BDN said...

Haha. This poem is RIDICULOUS!!

But I love it. :)