Wednesday, November 12, 2008

College Help?

Okay, the question isn't when I should go to college, because I've already figured that out--I am going after my mission.

However, I am wondering when I should apply and what not. I know Matthew just applied and what not when he got back from his mission, giving him a few months to spend some time with the family before going to school.

And then there are the return missionaries who apply in advance (or something--I'm actually not sure what they do) and go right back to school right when they get home.

I like the way Matthew handled it, but I am curious as to what the rest of the world thinks....

Haha. I am a little angry right now because every scholarship application explanation I look at says, "Must be attending college in the fall of 2009." Which I am not...So I am curious as to whether I'll even be able to get any scholarships.

I got my ACT results back today, and I got a 24 again. :/ I'll probably take it ONE more time to see if I can get something just a little bit better out of me.

Well, any help would be appreciated! :)

6 comments:

Kerstin said...

hmmm....Tough call you could apply now and just defer your attendance for two years. If you were going to wait I wouldn't wait until you got home to actually apply, I would probably start the process while you were on your mission because it just gets tricky seeing if they will take a late applyer and you probably wouldn't want tot wait a whole year before you started school.I think if you really want to go to a BYU school you should just apply now, I am sure they will defer your admission, and then you can make a little bit of a game plan for after your mission. As far as scholarships go you should probably just hold off on applying for those util after your mission.

BDN said...

Thanks, KT! I have some buddies applying for BYU right now, so I will get with them and figure out everything I have to do.

Theresa said...

i wouldn't wait to apply either. Is the issue funding? not having money yet for school? you can always get a job and student loans, or short term loans to pay tuition until you can earn enough at work to pay it,..but then there's housing,..

anyway,...I still wouldn't wait. It's worth it. And better to get a jump start on application than to let it lapse and have to do community to develop enough credits and then have to transfer somewhere. That's my preference, but I can also understand not having funding,..I'm facing that a little myself wondering how i can manage graduate school if/when I decide to do that for sure.

eBN said...

College? Why go to college anymore these days?! Obama is going to spread the wealth around! Sit back! Relax! Sip a cold one! "Smoke some leaf" (source: Goonies)! And scream "Ha-cha-cha!"

College. Hmph!

Seriously though, apply to as many as you can. It will be good practice for you. Stay away from ones with high application fees though!

Cynthia said...

Well, even though Cy didn't get to go to college before his mission, he still applied his senior year and got in. I guess he just filled out a deferment for missionaries. Also, you can still get scholarships I believe!

Shayla said...

I didn't decide to go to graduate school until after I was back from my mission. I got home in December and BYU applications were due in January. It was a such a stressful nightmare trying to get it done before the deadline (especially waiting on recommendations from other people -- you have little control over that part). My application ended up being late but fortunately I was able to talk with the right people and they accepted it. But, I would NOT recommend that. I agree with everyone else...try to get your applications in before your mission (or while you're on your mission if needed). Good luck!