Monday, October 27, 2008

BDN Update (Big Day, Big Month)

Dear World,

I have a lot I want to talk about!

First, I want to let everyone know that I finished the Book of Mormon yesterday. Wow. What a great, great book. I know that the Book of Mormon is true, and I am grateful for the lessons that it teaches me. It really does comfort me in my times of need. I challenge everyone to read it and see how much of a difference it makes in your days. There have been days where I forget to read my scriptures, and there is just a huge difference in how you feel and your day never seems to go as well. My next step is to read the New Testament, as that is what we are studying this year in seminary. I also want to continue to study the Book of Mormon so that I have a better understanding of it for my mission. :)

Today was an uneventful day, but it was actually very good. I went to seminary and school as usual, and then I had to work from 1 to 5 PM. The job at GameStop is pretty good, but I am not sure if it's worth it to only work 1-2 days a week. I definitely like my tutoring and babysitting jobs a lot more. Those two jobs are just a lot more fun than being a video game salesman, really. ;)

After work, I had to make dinner. I made some beef stew from the can, and it was the good kind. I enjoyed it. After dinner, we had FHE, and Timmy gave an excellent lesson on obedience. Timmy reminded me that sometimes we just have to be obedient, even if we aren't sure why we are being asked to do something. A very valuable lesson, indeed.

Also during FHE, my Dad helped me choose who to vote for in my sample ballot that I got in the mail. There are a lot of people to vote for other than the President! I never realized that. My Dad surrendered his mail-in ballot so that he can go and vote with me on election day next week. That brought a huge sigh of relief, because this will be my first time voting, and I was afraid my Dad was going to make me go by myself, not really knowing what to do. :)

I also plan on giving blood again on Election Day, since we don't have school, and I have nothing better to do. :) I haven't talked to my friend Scott yet, but I am going to make him come with me and donate some of his blood!

This Friday we also get school off because it is Halloween/Nevada Day, and I am really looking forward to a four day week of school. I am not sure what the plans are for Friday, though. I am supposed to go to IHOP Friday morning with my friend Jeffrey. But I am also supposed to have a Jell-O/Pudding party with some other friends. And then some other friends want me to have a late birthday party on Friday. And then another friend wants me to go over and spend Halloween with him in Las Vegas. And Luke wants me to drive him and his friends around to go trunk or treating. Not to mention that I think another group of friends are planning on having a Halloween party Friday night. So yeah--I am going to have to make some choices this Friday. :)

Tonight I had the opportunity to catch up with my good friends, Kyle Taylor and Forrest Sassaman. It was good to talk with both of them and see how they are doing. Kyle was telling me how he has been busy making sure that everyone over there in Mississippi doesn't fall away, and how he is working especially hard to make sure everyone stays on the straight and narrow path. He is now the first assistant to the Bishop, and he seems to have grown and matured a lot since I last talked to him back in 2005. I am really proud of Kyle and the path he has taken since I moved from Mississippi!

Forrest lives on the East coast now, and his stories are really sad. The last time I talked to him (a few months ago), he told me about how his Mom had gotten cancer and what not. Today he informed me that his Dad was working out of state, and that his Dad leaves for months at a time and comes back every once in a while, but only to visit for a few days. However, Forrest seems to be pretty positive about it, and he's keeping his chin up; I am very proud of him as well. Forrest isn't a member of the church, but he's a great, great kid. We talked on the phone about a year or so ago, and he figured out I was a Mormon. (Haha. He never knew that when we lived in Mississippi because he moved before I could really ever tell him about my religion, etc.) I was afraid Forrest was going to think of me differently because he figured that out, but he only respects me, and every time I talk to him, he asks, "So do you know where you are going on your mission yet?" And it's good to have friends ask me that, because it helps me realize how fast May/June is going to come. :)

Speaking of missions--I got a letter from my good friend, Elder Steven Tolboe. He is a friend of mine from my ward, and he just went into the MTC this month. He's only a year older than me, but he really has been an excellent example to me throughout the years. In his letter, he told me to go out with the missionaries as much as I can. And then I realized that I haven't actually ever been out with the missionaries. And so I am going to talk with the Elders in my ward this week and see what I can do.

Well, my friends, there is a lot more I wanted to say, actually, but I will save all of that for another time, as I don't want to make this post TOO long like I have been known to do. :) However, I just wanted to mention really fast how excited I am for seminary this week. Brother Chase (my seminary teacher from last year) is subbing my class the next three days, and I am really excited to be taught by him again! He's a very good teacher, and it was his seminary lessons that really made everything click for me last year. :) So yeah--I am excited!

I hope everyone has a good week!

Yours Truly,
BDN

P.S.
How could I forget!?!? Most important of all: My sister, Shayla, is having her baby boy tomorrow, and I am super excited. I really do love my nieces and nephews. They have given me a good idea of how much I am going to love my own children, and I am really excited to have another baby nephew to love and cherish! :)

3 comments:

The Watts said...

Nice post son, just a note about Forrest, I don't know if you knew this or not, but when he and his family lived in Mississippi not only did we send the missionaries to their house, we gave his mother a copy of the Book of Mormon and quite a few videos on families and the restoration of the church, his mom was actually quite receptive. That is sad to hear about her cancer, how is she doing? It is great that you keep in touch, I know his mom felt something special from your friendship with him and always wanted you to stay in touch, I can't help thinking that perhaps you will have a part in bringing the gospel to his family!

BDN said...

Yeah, Mom, I do remember that. :) I just never personally talked to Forrest and his family about the Gospel is what I was trying to say.

And last time I checked--His Mom was doing much better, so I am glad for that. ;)

That would be really sweet if I served my mission in the East and was able to teach his family!! Haha.

Cynthia said...

Sounds like everything is going great on your end! I'm so excited for you! I'm getting close to finishing the Book of Mormon and I am super excited! You're a great example to me BDN!