Sunday, October 5, 2008

An Excellent Experience at McDonalds

My Dad and JoAnn went up to Utah this weekend for conference, leaving me and the brothers alone once again.

It's been excellent! We all watched/listened to General Conference together yesterday, and I loved it. I couldn't really decide what my favorite talk was, but I really enjoyed Elder Wirthlin's talk. His stories were hilarious.

In between sessions, I took my bros out to Burger King for some lunch. We got some stuff off the dollar menu, and then I talked myself into taking them to Sonic for dessert. That was excellent!

The best part of the day, though, was taking Timmy and Logan to Priesthood Session. I really enjoyed it this year, as usual. It's just always so special. And it was great taking Logan for the first time as well. All the talks were excellent--I espeically liked the three from the first Presidency.

An excellent experience happened during/after conference. During conference, the speakers talked about making sure we listen to the Spirit; they also mentioned Quoroms. Well, I was sitting there during the session, and the thought came to me: "We should go to McDonalds for ice cream after this session is over." I decided that probably wasn't an excellent idea because I had spent enough money already.

But the thought kept coming to me. And so I decided that we would go to the McDonalds next to our building after the session. I pulled into the parking lot, and Timmy asks me, "Why are we going inside?" And my reply was, "We have to, brother." And so we walk in.

I felt like I had to go to the bathroom, so before getting the ice cream, I decided to walk over to the bathroom. On my way to the bathroom, however, I heard a lady behind me say, "Are you LDS?" I told her that we were, but I was afraid of what she was going to say next--I thought she might criticize us or something; she had bags of luggage and I thought she was homeless. But the next thing that came out of her mouth: "I am LDS, and I've been waiting for someone like you."

She then told me her story. She was living in Boulder City, where she was converted many years ago. She told me that she moved back to her home town in Tennessee a few months ago, but that she was robbed of most her possessions, hence the reason she was back in Henderson.

She didn't know what Ward boundry she was supposed to be in or anything, so she wanted to speak with a bishop or relief society president. I gave her the number of our relief society president, and she was very grateful.

She told us that the two Elders that baptized her went on to become doctors. She asked us if any of us wanted to become doctors after our mission. I laughed and told her that I wanted to probably do something with computers. I told her that I was going on a mission in about a year, and she thought that was great. I shook her hand when we were finally done visiting with her, and she thanked us very kindly and told me she liked how firm my hand shake was. :)

The brothers and I got our ice cream, and on our way out, we ran into another person--one of my quorom members; his name is Brigham, and he is Hawaiian or something. He hasn't been to church in a while, and so I figured this would be an excellent time to talk to him and see how he was doing. We talked about Football (he plays for Green Valley), and it was great to know that he was doing well. He seemed very happy that we came and talked to him, and it felt great. He is a great, great guy, and I only hope that visiting with him last night will make a difference, perhaps making him more active soon. :)

On our way out of McDonalds, I told the brothers, "So that is why the Spirit was telling us to come to McDonalds, my friends." Logan and Timmy agreed, and both thought it was an excellent experience.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

You are such a great example BDN. I Love You.

Cynthia said...

BDN this is a great story. I got the chills when I read it! The Lord knew that that woman needed you. I am so glad to have such great brothers who are firm in the gospel!

The Watts said...

It is so amazing how the spirit works, the Lord knows what each of us needs even though we might not know, that is why it is so important to be close to the spirit, most of the time we can not see the Lord's purposes until after we have the faith to act on the spirit. We are so proud of the choices you are making in your life and how clsse you have become to the spirit.

The Watts said...

Benji I am proud that you listen to the spirit and took your brothers to McDonalds, otherwise you would have missed out on those experiences with the lady and the less active memember of your quoram, I wish I could have been there to experience it with you, much love, Darin