Tuesday, July 15, 2008

BDN Update (Yesterday and Today)

Dear World,

Yesterday I was way too tired to write anything on this blog, but I'll fill you in now. I gave blood yesterday morning, and that was sweet. I didn't pass out or anything, but my arm really hurt afterwards. The lady kept moving the needle around, so I am thinking I'll end up with a big bruise or something. However, the arm was already feeling better today, so maybe it's not as bad as I thought. Either way, I've been sort of drained of energy since I gave blood. I gave quite a bit; I'm starting to think they accidently took half of it. Haha.

Over the years, I've had quite a few friends tell me "BDN, you know exactly what to say to make me feel better about myself" or something like that. Well, over the last year or so, I kinda felt like I lost that ability. But yesterday at work, a co-worker of mine (she's a really sweet kid) was having a hard time, and I just talked to her, and I suddenly noticed a change in her attitude; I am not sure if that was because of me, but I really felt like I helped her out the best I could. She likes to ask me questions about the Church, and I later gave her a Mormon.org pass-along card. It felt really great to do that.

And then the weirdest thing happened: My manager Christina asked me if I could clean the bathroom before I left; I said yes. She replies, "Do you want free chicken to take home to your family?" I says, "You serious??" She says, "Yeah, because I like you soo much!" Weird. We're not supposed to get free chicken! But alas, she handed over a whole chicken, and I took it home. Matthew and I ate it all. It was great. I'm going to have to thank her for it next time I see her.

All I did today was play with my nephew Landon. He is my first nephew, and he's three now. He's very talkative this year, and he was very fun to play with! Chasing him around our big house is great exercise as well! ;)

The first thing I did when I woke up was give Landon a big hug and what not. My original plan was to cry all over the child, but I was so tired, so I only got about one tear out of me. Landon came into my room, and I put on my shoes. I took him downstairs, and we played with some of the daycare kids for a while. Landon loved the snack: pizza!! (Landon loves pizza, for those of you who don't know.)

The daycare was expecting to have Landon most of the day, but I didn't let that happen because I am too selfish. After we ate the pizza, we went back upstairs, where I gave him more food (I couldn't in front of the other daycare kids). Landon and I shared a bowl of cereal. He and I both made a big mess; he got a few pieces of cereal on the floor, and I kept spilling milk on the floor. We watched a little bit of Sponge Bob while eating the cereal, even though I later figured out that Landon's mommy doesn't let him watch that show usually. Good thing he was too busy playing with his favorite toy (the toy helicopter) to even really notice the TV was on!

I tried to get Landon to take his nap around noon, but he didn't want to. I tried putting him on Timmy's bed and then leaving him alone, but he started crying. Having the soft heart for Landon that I have, I said, "Okay, Landon, do you want to take a nap on Uncle Ben's bed?" And he said, "Okay." And so he got onto my bed while I played a video game on Matt's bed. He pretended to be asleep a few times, but he never actually got to sleep.

He eventually got out of the bed and started playing with toys again. He laughed a lot while playing with Uncle Ben and Uncle Logan, and he even called his mommy and daddy twice. :) He was making me laugh a lot while he asked such questions as "Uncle Ben, where's dinner?" when it was only 1:20 PM.

Around 2:30 PM or so, Landon wanted to go downstairs. I told him he couldn't because the daycare kids were napping. He didn't like that much. But then I asked him if he wanted to watch Disney Channel; he liked that idea, and he hopped onto the couch. I ran into my room real fast to write down a note for Matt. When I went back into the kitchen, I noticed Landon had fallen asleep on the couch. :) I grabbed my baby blanket and put it on the cute child. (KT, if you are wondering, he woke up a little bit after 4:00 PM, from what Matthew tells me.)

Work wasn't boring today, but it could have been. During my break, I started talking to another co-worker of mine about missionary work and what not. He asked me some questions, and I answered them all the best I could. He really got me laughing when he said, "Is it true Mormons don't eat pigs??" I said, "No, we can eat pigs." And then he said, "OH! It's cows--that's right." I just laughed and explained to him a little bit about the Word of Wisdom. Before he had to go back to work, he asked me what we learn at church and what not. I gave him a few examples of what we learn every week and what not, and then I eventually said, "There's no way I could just sit here for thirty minutes and tell you everything we learn, because we learn a lot, my friend." And then I asked him if he had the Internet and what not, and when he said yes, I told him about Mormon.org and gave him a pass-along card.

So yeah, the last two days have been great. It's been great to have Landon back, and I really feel like Heavenly Father's preparing me for my mission with all the missionary oppurtunities that I have every day. Sharing the Gospel with people at El Pollo Loco is so easy because every one is so nice and what not; I love it! And I hope my co-workers continue to ask me about the Church.

Until next time, my friends!!

Yours Truly,
BDN

P.S.
Check out the pictures that I posted earlier of Landon's adventures here at the house!! :)

4 comments:

eBN said...

great job man! from the pictures of Landon I would have thought the poor kid was missing his mommy too much, but... the best line was "Uncle Ben, where's dinner?" HAHA!!

Kerstin said...

It sounds like you had a fun day. I can't wait to hear about today!

Shayla said...

You are going to make such a great missionary! It is so much harder (for me anyway) to share the gospel with friends and coworkers than strangers in a strange land. If you're on fire here (and it sounds like you are), you are going to be amazing once you get to the mission field. The world only has what...a year and a half?...to prepare itself for Elder Nelson. =)

I'm glad you're having fun with Landon. I love that you're so into your nieces and nephews.

BDN said...

Thanks Shayla! It means a lot. Oh, and I should have my actual mission call about a year from now or so, and then I should leave in about a year and three months, so yeah...It's going to come fast, so I had better be ready!!

I have the best nephews and nieces in the world!! I'm already dying to see Brighton again. :) I love that child so much! It gives me a good idea of how much I'm going to love my own kids and what not. ;)