Sunday, July 6, 2008

E-mail: BDN Update (Might As Well Be A Blog Entry)

Dear Friends,

Wow, it's been a while since I've done this. I realize that this message is being sent to pretty much all of my friends, and really hope everyone gets it. I'm pretty sure a bunch of these e-mail addresses are old, and a lot of people probably won't get this. But I've always liked to take a little time to update everyone on BDN, so here I go anyways.

The summer so far has been like all my other summers here in Henderson. Summer for me is probably the best time to make some changes, and so--of course--I always do. However, the changes so far haven't been so great. A part of me has been missing, and I've kind of gone back to the old, negative BDN that I was those many years ago. BUT the great thing about the summer is that we have three months to figure everything out and to change into someone we WANT to be. So I've been working on that the last couple of weeks. (More on that later in the e-mail, though.)

I finally got a job at a little place called El Pollo Loco. We have a new one here in Henderson. It's been pretty good. I have one manager that just drives me nuts, but I've only had to deal with him two days a week so it hasn't been so bad. Other than that, the other managers are tight, and everyone I work with is really nice. Right now, they have me just working in the lobby and cleaning up after people's messes and what not. I've actually enjoyed it quite a bit. They were going to originally have me in the back actually preparing food and what not, but I guess I was just too slow for them. And, yeah, I never did work well under pressure like that.

I work five days a week, and I think I'm going to start getting weekends off. Thank goodness. Today was my first day off since I went to camp last week. Overall, it's been a good day off. There was a certain part of the day, where people were getting on my nerves, but I got over it pretty quick, so it didn't ruin my day. I've spent the last couple of hours re-evaluating myself and trying to figure out what's missing from the BDN formula. The re-evaluating was extremely successful, and I think I'm going to be back to the good ol', positive BDN again.

I think a big part of my negativeness was coming about because I haven't exactly been "spiritually in-tune" lately. I could sure use a session at EFY right now. But, I'm not going this year, so I need to make spiritual things happen for myself this summer. You see--last year at EFY 2007, a special thing happened to me--my testimony absolutely sky-rocketed. It was my third year there, but it was the first year where I actually wanted to CHANGE for the better. And so my whole Junior year, I got in the habit of reading my scriptures every night, saying my prayers, passing off good ol' scripture masteries, etc. But since school has ended, that habit sort of died, and I can definitely notice a difference. And so I think I found one of the missing pieces to the BDN puzzle. A session at EFY would definitely be a great boost, like I said before. But I got to make it happen for myself this summer. After all, EFY's not going to be there for me when I'm on my mission next year, right?

The biggest piece of the scattered puzzle has been found, but there are still plenty of other missing pieces that I'm trying to figure out. For example, whatever happened to the creative-minded BDN? What the heck is wrong with this fool? When was the last time BDN actually completed an actual good short-story and sent it out in an e-mail. It's been nearly four years, my friends. So yeah, my old creativity is just one of the other many things I am trying to find. And I will find it.

But enough about me. This next paragraph is going to be about what I've been living on the last few days. No--not food, not video games; none of that junk. Rather, I've been living on a little thing called Where The Light Is. It's a new John Mayer CD/DVD. Now, I know quite a few of you aren't John Mayer fans, but hear me out! I know he writes some junky songs sometimes, and those junky songs are usually on the radio. (Except for his new stuff. All his new stuff on the radio is high-quality stuff!) But have you ever thought about the stuff NOT on the radio? Well, I am here to tell you, my friends, that John Mayer's stuff that is NOT on the radio is some of the greatest stuff you will ever hear. Unless, of course, you don't like the Blues, Acoustic, and/or Jazz genre. Then you won't like it. But if you happen to like those genres or John Mayer for that matter, I definitely recommend this CD/DVD. If anyone wants to hear it but NOT buy it, I am willing to make copies. Why? Because it might be the best CD I've heard in the last five years. And good music is hard to come by these days.

Dang. This might as well be a blog entry. Maybe I should get a blog.

Well, I hope everyone's summer is going great! Look forward to my next update; I think I could get used to sending out e-mails like this.

Yours Truly,
Benjamin David Nelson
Philipians 4:13

4 comments:

eBN said...

good decision to make a blog man... I look forward to reading all the updates man!! Cheerios! See you at 3:30!

Cynthia said...

BDN,
Thanks for the email! I don't think I've ever told you this, but I've kind of always looked up to you. You are a great example to me and you always make me want to be better spiritually. Thanks BDN! I love you! Nice blog by the way! Keep up the great work!

Kerstin said...

I know what is missing I am not there to hang out with. But no fear I will be there in a little less then 4 weeks ;).

BDN said...

You know, KT, I was thinking about it, and you're actually right. The reason last summer was a memorable one for me, is because you, Cynthia, and I hung out almost every day, and it was great. This summer, though, y'all aren't here, and I really miss it. :(

But like you said: You'll be here soon, and I'm really excited for that. Although I'll be working a lot while you are here, we'll still be able to hang out lots, hopefully, because I have weekends off and I only work at night, leaving the morning and afternoon for hang-out time. :)